Sunday's (8/20): Conversation Starters and 8/13's Kindness

Kids do what they want, here Warren won't look at the camera and smile; and look at the funny picture it made! 

Overcoming Shyness and Questions to Ask

The PowerofOneMultiplied only works when you're able to start a conversation with a stranger. Which can be difficult! Here are some conversation starters that I've used and have positive outcomes (in no particular order):
The way to overcome shyness is to become so wrapped up in something that you forget to be afraid
-Lady Bird Johnson
  1. I really like that color on you! <insert compliment: it makes your eyes pop, or it brings out the ____>
  2. I love your shoes!
  3. Where did you get that {item of clothing or jewelry}?
  4. What was the best part of your day today?
  5. What are you looking forward to the most today?
  6. What inspired you to become a ____ {nurse was my most used during recovery period}
Great resources for more questions:
  • Pinterest search for "conversation starters"
  • Tabletopics and Q/A games
  • General conversation with people

Praise and positive feedback phrases

  1. I want to thank you for helping me today! When you did X it really helped me Y!

8/13 Kindness

Last Sunday Mom and I went to church at Prince of Peace in Tomball, Texas - it was a special service and such a wonderful parish. They do a thing before mass begins everyone shakes hands and talks to those around them. A family was in front of us consisting of a mom, dad, 2 beautiful girls (maybe 8 - 10) and a son (maybe 2 or 3). The mom immediately said, "we brought our kids and I hope they're well behaved today and pre-apologized for any disruptions they may make." 

As the Mom predicted there were a few behavior issues - the son was very loud - screaming audibly from the cry room (not a problem) and you could see the dad get visibly frustrated with the kids when they weren't 'Perfectly' behaved. None of it bothered or interrupted our service. It was just a family with three young children attending mass. 

Towards the end of mass, the mom looked at me and I was compelled to tell her how amazing it was to sit behind them; because I also struggle with the challenge of bringing my two rambunctious kids to mass; worried about controlling them or bothering other members of the congregation. But last Sunday, I had an epiphany. This stranger's kids were actively participating in mass, sure, their singing was a little off-key or louder than others at times, but they were singing and praising Jesus. They were following along. They were becoming members of the parish in front of my eyes. It was a beautiful thing to witness. So, I told the Mom. Your children are awesome! You daughters are singing along and reading from the TVs - complex and difficult words and they're following along; how smart are they! Also, your son is adorable (he had a little pony man-child bun thing going) and look how much he loves you (He was yelling and reaching/clinging to and for his Dad at this point). Dad, he just loves you! It's adorable to see. 

Contrary to the parent's concern about disrupting my mass, that family inspired me and gave me a treasured memory. Kids in mass are one of my favorite things and part of why I love our little church in Rockne, TX so darn much. EVERYONE there seems to cherish children at mass time. I think they all get that we're doing the best we can. And when Warren yells, "Is it over yet?" during mass, it's okay. Any behavior in church is okay, because it's IN CHURCH. Sure, if there's screaming or crying or just wildness, we could leave or go into the cry room - but overall, kids are a joy in mass. I am happy to have had a moment to tell the family in front of me how much I enjoyed every moment of that mass and how their family was a beautiful thing to watch.

That day I really and truly felt like I lived my faith. A thing I really like about Prince of Peace is that they encourage the congregation to take the mass to the parking lot and beyond - Bring it to 249 (the highway that it's located near). My kindness of 8/13 let me live my faith and I truly took it to the parking lot and 249. 

So to summarize, if you're also Catholic and trying to live your faith - take it to the parking lot and also, smile at that family with the unruly kiddo;  we're teaching our children how to become members of the congregation warts, bumps, and all. Welcome them with open arms - mass can be one of the most anxious moments of our day. We need the encouragement to continue to bring our families to mass - even though we know it's the right thing to do. It can be daunting and also keep us away if we are perceived as a nuisance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So John McCain and I have something in common...

A Broken Phone and a Lot of Kindness - Saying Thank You

The One I've Been Avoiding Writing